Sunday, August 8, 2010

July, construction continues

Time is flying by....who thought a cardboard boat would take this much time to build? Guess it is all the engineers on the project, and we are also thinking about the 6 women who will be paddling it in the race so I guess we don't want them to get wet. Yeah! Continue to work on the side and gunwales. We also reinforced the floor with two more layers of cardboard using carpenters glue. The floor should be good and strong with an air space provided by the honeycomb material. Unfortunately I don't have photos of the bow and stern construction. Most of it I did myself since I didn't know how I really wanted to attack it, thus no photos. The gunwales are a molded paper product used to protect the ends of appliances. They appear to be very durable and strong. We attached them with contact cement and liquid nails, and taped all joints.

1 comment:

  1. Tom,

    This looks really cool! If you get a chance stop in and see us at http://cardboardboat.net

    We're tryin' to stir up the cardboard pot!
    Thanks
    JD
    cardboard boats
    cardboard boats

    ReplyDelete